Advice, behaviour and safety
For safety reasons, children under 3 years of age are not allowed on the slopes
ALWAYS WEAR A HELMET
Although its use is not compulsory, it is highly advisable
THE RIGHT CHOICE OF SKI OR SNOWBOARD EQUIPMENT IS A DETERMINING FACTOR
This will facilitate your comfort and learning. The hire staff and our instructors will be able to assist you in choosing the skis or snowboard that are right for you.
THE IMPORTANCE OF WEARING SUITABLE CLOTHING IN THE RESORT
Equip yourself with snow gear that keeps you warm and dry, and always wear gloves and hat/helmet. You will spend the day worry-free.
PROTECT YOURSELF FROM SOLAR RADIATION
Always wear sunglasses that are approved for the snow and use sun protection of SPF30 or above.
On the slopes
COMPULSORY RULES for skiers and snowboarders
It is essential that before skiing you know the International Ski Federation’s compulsory rules of conduct for skiers and snowboarders.
ADAPT YOUR LEVEL OF SKIING OR SNOWBOARDING TO THE DIFFICULTY OF THE SLOPES.
Valdesquí has green slopes - very easy; blue - easy; and red – difficult, so that you can learn progressively and safely.
WE HAVE A MEETING POINT
At the base of the resort we have a meeting point that will be very useful to you, especially if you are visiting us with children. It is located in the school building. The good thing about our resort is that all of the descents end up at this point so if anyone from your group gets lost or disorientated, it will be easy to find them.
SKIMO RULES OF CONDUCT AND GENERAL CONDITIONS IN THE RESORT
More and more often, we can find ski mountaineers in the skiable areas of resorts. Although it’s a very competitive and healthy sports discipline, ski mountaineering can also generate a series of potential risks and conflicts on the slopes if it is not done in a conscious, cautious and orderly manner.
Like any other user of the slopes, ski mountaineers are subject to the regulations and directives of each of the ski resorts they pass through. For this purpose, the resorts establish routes and slopes within their skiable areas where ski mountaineering can safely take place, as well as hours established depending on the hours of opening to the public.
AT VALDESQUÍ SKIMO CAN BE PRACTICED FROM THE AGE OF 5. CHILDREN UNDER 18 MUST ALWAYS BE ACCOMPANIED BY A RESPONSIBLE ADULT, WHO MUST KNOW AND COMPLY WITH THE RESORT’S REGULATIONS.
SKIMO HOURS WITHIN THE RESORT: 09.00 to 16.15
Ski mountaineering is only permitted from 09.00 to 16.15
Outside of these times, the snow groomers start work and all of the routes, whether of ascent or descent, have anchor points for cables which cross the slopes, placing the lives of ski mountaineers at risk.
ROUTES OF ASCENT THAT MUST BE ABIDED BY
1. CERRADILLAS ASCENT difficulty: green
Slopes: Las Zetas + La Travesía.
On the left-hand side of the slopes.
2. BOLA DEL MUNDO ASCENT difficulty: blue.
Slopes: Minibikes area + lower area of Snowpark + Cuerda Noruego + Cuerda Larga.
On the right-hand side of the slopes.
3. VALDEMARTIN ASCENT difficulty: red
Slopes: Pradera 1 + Quinta Avenida + upper area of Pista Guarramillas.
On the left-hand side of the slopes.
GENERAL RULES OF CONDUCT FOR MOUNTAIN SKIING WITHIN THE SKIABLE AREA.
- You can only ascend on the dedicated routes or on the slopes authorised for such use by the resort in the case of adverse snow conditions.
- You must never use a closed slope whether for ascent or descent. Instructions regarding the slopes must be respected.
- Accessing the ski slopes with dogs is not permitted.
- The following slopes are particularly dangerous due to the risk of collision with other skiers or snowboarders: Las Zetas (junctions with La Ecológica), beginning of Cuerda Noruego, Pradera 1 junctions with La Presilla, Piornal, Valdemartín and last section of Guarramillas.
- Each resort has specific information about permitted routes and slopes for ski mountaineering - you should check before starting.
- Remember: ski mountaineering is done under your own responsibility.
- Access by ski mountaineers outside of the hours established by the resort for this activity is strictly prohibited.
- The resort’s employees will inform those who practise Skimo of the permitted routes of ascent in the event of variations in the default routes.
- SKIMO PASSES do not give the right to use the resort’s ski lifts under any circumstances.
- SKIMO skiers will be able to descend via any slope, complying with the ISF regulations.
- During ascent, alpine skiers and snowboarders will have priority, paying special attention at all junctions, where SKIMO skiers will give way to other users.
- Ski mountaineering for ascent outside of the 3 marked routes is prohibited.
- Ascent via these routes will always be done in single file, constantly paying attention to the skiers and snowboarders who are descending the slope. 2 or more users should never ascend in parallel.
- The SKIMO pass includes a free first aid and rescue service on slopes.
- The slopes must always be crossed using the areas indicated in this document.
The use of drones in the resort is strictly prohibited, unless you have express permission from the management of Valdesquí "Estación Alpina de Cotos S.A” and meet the compulsory requirements set by current law.
The use of drones in the area bordering the resort is also strictly prohibited, including the car park, since it is a highly protected air space, belonging to the Sierra de Guadarrama National Park.
Valdesquí may use drones for different purposes within the limits of the skiable area. All customers will be notified of days when filming is taking place before purchasing or collecting their ski pass, and informed of their rights as set out in the Organic Law on Data Protection.
In the event that the resort detects a drone flying without consent, it will take the relevant legal measures due to breach of the resort's regulations.
In the event of detecting drone recordings obtained without the resort's consent on any social network profile or video applications such as YouTube or Vimeo, the resort will take the relevant legal measures against the generator of this content.
Valdesquí has an air space reserved for the use of rescue or surveillance helicopters, such that compliance with this regulation is mandatory.